These journal prompts for self love and self esteem will help you explore some of the many reasons you are undeniably and without question worthy of love.
My hope is that you’ll be reminded that you’re invaluable, you matter, and this world needs that “special something” that only you can bring.
So read through these journal prompts and then meet me at the bottom of the blog post for some girl-talk and sisterly love.
Here we go…
Journal prompts for self-love
How we view ourselves is directly tied to how we love ourselves. These journal prompts for self love and self esteem will help you explore how you see and feel about yourself.
- What are some of the thoughts that run through your mind when you look at yourself in the mirror?
- List your favorite personality traits.
- List your favorite physical qualities.
- What do you appreciate most about yourself?
- Do you feel like you know who you really are?
- Which do you enjoy more – standing out from the crowd or fitting in? Explore this.
- Do you believe you’re worthy of love?
- Do you believe you’re worthy of respect?
- How have you grown over the last year?
- Do you enjoy spending time alone or do you feel more comfortable when you have others around? Explore this.
- How does your relationship with God influence how you love yourself?
- What are some things that make you quirky and unique?
- How do you feel about yourself? (If the answer is negative, read this)
- Do you embrace authenticity or do you often try to be like other people? Why?
- How does social media impact your self-image?
- Is your attitude towards yourself kind and gracious, or critical and mean? Explore this.
- What made you seek out journal prompts for self-love? Explore this.
- Is there anything stopping you from genuinely loving yourself?
- Is how you see yourself based on internal or external factors? Explore this.
- How do you want to see your relationship with yourself evolve over the next year?
- How has your relationship with yourself evolved over the last year?
- What are some of your biggest accomplishments?
- In what areas do you want to see yourself grow?
- Do you tend to focus more on what you do right or what you do wrong?
- What’s an experience that has shaped you negatively or positively?
- How did you feel about yourself growing up?
- Write a love letter to yourself.
Hard Things Happen
No one can escape it – life is downright hard sometimes.
All of us face difficulties in life and whether or not we realize it, those experiences impact us dramatically.
Let’s explore what you learned, how you grew, and take a moment to celebrate the fact that you are still here!
- How does rejection impact your self image?
- What’s the last difficult thing you made it through?
- Is there anything you need to forgive yourself for? If so, write a letter of forgiveness to yourself.
- Were you ever bullied or picked on? How did that affect you?
- What are some of the obstacles you have (or need to) overcome on your self-love journey?
Learning from others
How we’re treated by others often shapes how we treat ourselves. These self love journal prompts will help you explore how your relationships have impacted you.
- What are some compliments you’ve received over the years?
- Of the compliments you’ve received, which ones meant the most to you? Why?
- What do people often ask you for advice on?
- Growing up, did you receive love freely or did you have to earn it? How has this affected you?
- Are the people closest to you critical of you or supportive? How does this affect you?
- How would the people closest to you describe you?
- What are some positive things others see in you that you have a hard time seeing in yourself?
- How have you helped someone recently?
- What are some ways you positively impact the lives of those around you?
- How do you want to positively impact the people in your sphere of influence?
- Whose opinion of you matters most to you? Explore this.
- Do you surround yourself with people who build you up or tear you down?
- How have your romantic relationships impacted how you view yourself?
Here for a Reason
Your special combination of God given gifts, talents, passions, and skills make you unique. And this world needs that special combination that only you can bring. Let’s explore some of the ways you were designed to impact this world.
- What are your hobbies?
- What are some of the creative ways you like to express yourself?
- What do you believe your purpose is?
- What are some of the things you excel at?
- What are some of the gifts and skills God has given you?
- What are you passionate about?
Love Is a Verb
Self-love begins internally, but it’s expressed externally. It affects how we treat ourselves and each other. These journal prompts will help you look at how self-love is manifesting in your life.
- What does it mean to love yourself?
- Why is self-love important?
- How does self-love influence the way you show love to others?
- How does the way you feel about yourself impact the way you treat yourself?
- What are some of the ways you regularly show yourself love?
- When’s the last time you complimented yourself? What was the compliment?
- What makes you feel loved?
Journal Prompts for Self Love and Self Esteem (Truth Bomb)
Let me ask you a question sis.
What makes you loveable?
The answer is so simple it will Blow. Your. Entire. Mind. 🤯
You are lovable because an all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful God says so. He created you and He knows you better than you even know yourself.
You are lovable because a loving God made you in His image.
And He didn’t make any mistakes on you.
In fact, He calls YOU His masterpiece.
We’re able to truly love and accept ourselves, because God first loved and accepted us.
BOOM, there it is sis! It’s as simple as that.
How to Use These Journal Prompts for Self Love
I don’t know about you, but I’ve heard 2 extreme views on self-love (fyi I hate both of these):
1. An idea of self-love that is arrogant, self-centered, and places others beneath us
2. An idea that self-love is wrong and selfish, and we shouldn’t love ourselves
In my opinion, neither of those views is healthy or helpful.
And most importantly, it’s not Biblical.
Mark 12:30-31– Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ there is no commandment greater than these.
Healthy self-love is rooted in God’s love for us.
And it equips us to be able to love others effectively.
When we begin seeing ourselves like God sees us, we develop a healthy self love. It won’t cause us to be prideful or arrogant and it’ll keep us from insecurity and a poor self image.
So as you go through these self love journal prompts, I encourage you to pray and ask God to help you develop a healthy self-love.
If you’re struggling with insecurity, ask Him to help you see yourself the way He sees you.
Self-Love Basics: Characteristics of Love
I’m sure you’ve heard this verse read at more weddings than you can count. It’s the quintessential “love scripture.”
But it’s also a good standard for us.
Read through these Characteristics and ask yourself if this reflects how you love yourself and others:
✔️ Love is patient
✔️ Love is kind
✔️ It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
✔️ It does not dishonor others
✔️ It is not self-seeking
✔️ It is not easily angered
✔️ It keeps no record of wrongs.
✔️ Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
✔️ It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Liked these Journal Prompts for Self-Love and Self-Esteem? Get More.
If you’ve been around the blog, you know I struggled majorly with a poor self-image… And real talk, sometimes I still struggle.
So if you’re struggling I want you to know that I see you, and I feel you.
And I want to remind you again that you are loved and this world needs that special something that only you can bring.
I hope these journal prompts help you. I’m praying that as you go through them, you’ll begin seeing yourself the way your Heavenly Father Sees You.
If you need some additional support check out these posts – they’re some of my faves.
👉🏾 Listen to these songs when you’re feeling insecure
👉🏾 How to Stop Comparing Yourself to Others Now
👉🏾 Insecure? This 1 Thing Could Be Why
Self-Love Wallpapers (Free)
Also, download these free self-love wallpapers as a reminder that you are worthy of love.
w/ light and love,
Matthew 5:14 – You are the light of the world. And like a city on a hill that cannot be hidden.